Why it is so hard to change and what to do about it
Part of our social conditioning is to share in the mass consciousness belief that it is impossible to change. Clichés like “A leopard never changes his spots” and “You cant teach an old dog new tricks” pop into our minds as justification as to why we haven’t been able to make the changes we desire in our lives.
And yet – it is the biggest lie we tell ourselves. Every-thing, including our bodies, minds and circumstances are in a constant state of change. So, if change is happening to us anyway, the best skill we can develop is to take responsibility and manage our own change cycles.
It all seems so simple when inspiration lights us up, followed by motivation to get us where we want to go. Then, before we can realize the change, our motivation slips and we find ourselves searching for the motivation to continue. This loop can build up in many areas of our lives as we do courses, read books and visualise in search of the elusive motivation we believe will help us change. If this cycle is familiar to you, then here is what you need to know:
Motivation is not meant to last – it is just responsible for getting us into action! The state we are really searching for is discipline. Discipline is the stepping stone from motivation to achievement and all it requires to be awakened is a decision.
Top 5 steps to Discipline:
- When you are in the initial phase of change (Inspiration and motivation) use this time to get very clear of what you want your change to look like. Write your goals down and come up with a realistic plan to get there.
- Give your plan the time and dedication that it requires and develop a mindset of “I am making this change, no matter what”
- See the change as inevitable and if it is going to happen sooner or later, decide that it may as well be sooner that you take the required action.
- Realise that as soon as you set a goal, energy responds by bringing up every-thing standing in the way of that change. This includes all of your beliefs, thoughts and emotions that are not aligned to the change you want to make and the biggest reason people loop back to the searching for motivation phase and halt the change process.
- Work with a coach who has made these changes in their own life and systematically face and transform all of your fears and limiting belief blocks. One you have moved through each block, change is inevitable.
As a qualified intuitive coach, Reiki Master and light worker, Peta Panos is a Transformational Expert who helps conscious executives and entrepreneurs take stock of their lives and make their desired changes that have, so far, eluded them.
Peta has her own successful 21-year corporate background and 6 years experience as an entrepreneur. Born and raised in South Africa, Peta now lives in Norway and owns Quest Leadership and Spiritual Quest Journeys
If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends and if you haven’t already done so, sign up for Peta´s free gift on Mastering the Change Cycle at the top right hand side of the page.