We all feel it at some time or another – that rising feeling within us that we are NOT enough!
Too much to do! Practically a hamster on a wheel and that annoying voice in our head “Why is this always happening to me??”
Overwhelm is a state of mind where we feel we don’t have a choice and fortunately states of mind can be changed – once you are aware of them.
In the hope of throwing you a life raft, here are my top 5 steps to feeling on top of things again:
- Realize that you are stuck in overwhelm: Once you have this awareness, half of the work is already done.
- Take responsibility for your state of mind & Breathe: if your thoughts have created overwhelm, the same are key to getting you unstuck. Breathing deeply calms you down and centers you.
- Grab some paper and start writing: Once those thoughts are out of your head and onto the paper, you can start to make sense of it all.
- Prioritize: Split the list into URGENT, SOON and DELEGATE. On second glance, you may even drop some off the list completely.
- Take Action: Pick one item on your list and start with that. For the rest: detail them into your planner as well as some time to do something for yourself. After all, you have just coped with overwhelm and stepped back into the flow.
Whilst this will get you out of overwhelm in the short term, to truly Master overwhelm: deeper clarity on where you are on your life´s path and refreshing your goals will serve you greatly.
If this post resonates with you, please share it with those you feel it will serve and if you have any of your own tips to add, please comment below.